This healthy Quick & Easy 10-Minute Breakfast Tacos recipe is simple and fast to prepare, even on a busy morning. You can even make them ahead of time and just reheat as needed. While they provide a good dose of protein, you will also enjoy the amazing taste. They will also fit well into a healthy eating plan. I love to make them on Sundays and then enjoy leftovers throughout the week. Sometimes I even double the recipe so we are sure to have plenty on hand.
Tips and Variations
Cooking with Egg Substitute
You could also use 8 regular eggs in place of the egg substitute. I like to use egg substitute in many of my recipes to cut down on the fat, calories, and cholesterol without affecting the flavor. A quarter of a cup of egg substitute (the equivalent of 1 large egg) has about 31 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein. For comparison, one large egg has 78 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein.
You can also cook the egg substitute or eggs in the microwave in a medium sized dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on high stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Then simply prep the other ingredients while the eggs are cooking.
Other Ingredient Variations
I use corn tortillas in this recipe but if flour tortillas are your thing, feel free to swap out with flour ones. If you are watching carbs, low carb tortillas would also be fine to use. You could also add cooked sausage to the tacos (pork, turkey, or vegan) if that is something you would enjoy. Green chilies an excellent addition instead of bell peppers. You could even omit the peppers all together and use zucchini, potatoes, or avocados as a stand-in.
Quick & Easy 10-Minute Breakfast Tacos recipe
Quick & Easy 10 Minute Breakfast Tacos
- 1 16 oz Carton Egg Substitute
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Green Onions
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 8 6″ Corn Tortillas (warmed up)
- 1 Cup 2% Milk Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2/3 Cup Salsa
- 2/3 Cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream
- Cook egg substitute in a skillet over medium high heat in a pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until cooked through and solid. Turn off heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the cheese.
- Chop up onions, red pepper, and cilantro, set aside.
- To assemble: Build the tacos by layering the egg substitute mixture, red pepper, black beans, salsa, and sour cream. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.